Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: The Rum Diary

I wanted to like this movie.  I really did.  I like Johnny Depp, even in his lesser work.  I like Hunter S. Thompson, or at least I like the image portrayed by HST.  I really did want to like this movie.  I really did.  Well, you know how things tend to go.  I think it was Mick Jagger who said, "You can't always get what you want."  Well I did not.  Unfortunately I never did get what I needed either.  Drab and staid (granted the novel, Thompson's first, before he was the Hunter Thompson everyone knows and loves/hates, is quite bland as well) this Bruce Robinson directed, Johnny Depp pet project is nothing I ever wanted or needed.  Too bad really.  My review of this tired film is now up and running over at The Cinematheque.  Needless to say, it is not the most positive review I have ever written.


As the below shot shows, despite its many flaws, the film is visually impressive.  That's something, right?


No comments: