Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: Meek's Cutoff

Some say Kelly Reichardt's fourth film, Meek's Cutoff (starring the love of my cinematic life, Michelle Williams) is a hard film to watch.  Now mostly these are your typical Plebeian moviegoers who would not know a Tarkovsky from a Jodorowsky so it should not come as any real surprise.  If they cannot handle a film such as this (this is the same crowd that had no emotional reckoning over the ending of Wendy and Lucy) then fuck 'em I say.  I on the other hand (as if you couldn't already have guessed) found the film, as harrowing in storyline as it may very well be, just a thrill to watch, not difficult in the slightest - which is a very good thing since I have been anticipating seeing it ever since missing the press screening at last year's NYFF.  My review of said film is up and running over at The Cinematheque.



No comments: