Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Last Airbender Reviewed (and M. Night Shyamalan gleefully attacked) at The Cinematheque

By now, anyone who knows me well enough will surely be privy to the fact that I am huge M. Night Shyamalan hater.  Huge!  The Sixth Sense was okay at best and Unbreakable had some good performances, but everything after that is pure unadulterated crapola.  With each successive film, Shyamalamadingding gets worse and worse and worse and worse and worse.  From the silly Signs to the stupefied The Village to the ludicrous Lady in the Water to the preposterous The Happening to the unfathomable god-awfulness of The Last Airbender.  The crap pile gets higher and higher with each project.  In fact (as I make mention to in my review) I would be sorely disappointed if Shyamalan were to finally make a great, or even good, film.  I went into this movie knowing full well it was going to be mind-numbingly bad and was actually hoping for it to be so.  I can honestly tell you, I was not disappointed.  I take a perverse delight in watching the man fail over and over and over again, ad nauseum. In a strange way, this makes the film a better film for me, than it actually deserves to be.

Perhaps it is this perverse delight that made me jump up on my critical soapbox and blather on for 1000+ words about just how god-awful The Last Airbender is - even if this is exactly what I was hoping for.  Cheap and low base an attack it is, but once and awhile one needs to take the low road and blow off some critical steam, lest it eat away at him.  I suppose this means I am pretty good until, well, until the next M. Night Shyamalamadingdong movie comes out.  Anyway, click on the link below and see just how cheap and low base I can actually get when cornered with a beyond bad film such as this.


No comments: