Friday, December 11, 2009

Best of the Decade: Year 2002

Welcome to Part III of the Best of the Decade Project.  Each few days I will name my choices for the best films of each particular year in the aforementioned decade.  This will culminate just after the new year with my list of the 50 greatest films of the decade.  So without further ado I give you my top ten for the year 2002.

1. Russian Ark (Aleksandr Sokurov)
2. City of God (Fernando Meirelles)
3. Irreversible (Gasper Noe) 
4. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar)
5. 28 Days Later (Danny Boyle)  
6. Far From Heaven (Todd Haynes)
7. Gerry (Gus Van Sant)
8. Punch Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson)
9. Femme Fatale (Brian De Palma)
10. Gangs of New York (Martin Scorsese)

2 comments:

MP said...

Nice List! Here's mine: http://cinephiliaque.blogspot.com/search/label/2002 I agree on alomst everything with you but haven't seen Irréversible yet and was not sure of the qualities of Femme fatale, but I agree on Romijn's striptease!

JoshTschantret said...

Irreverisble is possibly my favorite movie of 2002 with Punch-Drunk Love pulling in at a close second, so I like those inclusions; City of God, too. Those three, for me, stronger convey their respective messages intellectually, emotionally, and aesthetically which is pretty much my definition of superior art.

Russian Ark is one of those movies, in concept at least, inevitably would've been made eventually. Sokurov is audacious, which is a character in artists I respect regardless or my preference for their work, but I just wasn't as impressed as many were with this particular one.

My other mention would be Tsukamoto's "A Snake of June."